Your browser is out of date

Internet Explorer is no longer supported. Please use a different browser to enjoy the website in better quality.

Emissions Certificate (for Driving in Germany)

We are sorry due to unforeseen circumstances this service is temporarily suspended.

Some German cities operate Low Emissions Zones (LEZ), most of which require a numberplate/windscreen sticker to demonstrate compliance . Buy this sticker from DEKRA in the UK before you travel to save yourself time and for your peace of mind.

Emissions Certificate

The regulation applies to all passenger motor vehicles and commercial vehicles irrespective of propulsion (with combustion engines - petrol, diesel or gas - and with electric motors). Vehicles registered abroad also require the stickers in order to be permitted to drive into environmental zones. The implementation of the ordinance is principally intended to reduce pollution in the cities and in so doing, particularly contribute to reducing the fine particulate in the atmosphere.

Exempt from the driving ban and from the requirement to display fine particle stickers are:

  • Mobile machines and devices
  • Driven machines
  • 2- and 3-wheel vehicles (e.g. mopeds, motorbikes, scooters)
  • Agricultural and forestry traction machines (such as tractors)
  • Vehicles driven by persons or transporting persons that are severely handicapped, helpless or blind (evidenced by aG, H or BI entered in the severely handicapped ID)
  • Veteran cars with 07 registration plates, as well as foreign vehicles that fulfil the comparable requirements (generally this is any vehicle over 30 years old)

The nationally standardised marking of cars, trucks and buses is to be accompanied by the introduction of the new environmental zone road sign. It informs of a driving ban for vehicles that do not bear the indicated sticker(s). Cities and municipalities can use air purity plans to devise measures which stipulate which areas are to be designated as temporary or permanent environmental zones.

Why are these stickers required?

  • Display of the appropriate sticker in certain cities is mandatory – even for vehicles from the UK
  • Rules apply to through traffic as well as residents

Your benefits:

  • DEKRA can provide you with the appropriate sticker, quickly and cost effectively
  • Re-assurance that you are dealing with an expert German company
  • We give you the appropriate sticker based on your vehicle information
  • Quick turnaround- DEKRA UK are based in Southern England (3-4 working days)
  • Very reasonable cost (£15+VAT)

Our solution:

  • Simply email us a copy of your vehicle’s V5c and any current MOT along with your contact details
  • We contact you to take payment for the appropriate sticker (usually £15 + VAT)
  • Sticker despatched through the post that day


  • DEKRA are a German company and can keep up-to-date with local requirements
  • DEKRA are closely involved with vehicle testing (including emissions) in Germany
  • The DEKRA brand on your sticker is as recognisable in Germany as the AA or RAC in the UK
  • DEKRA provide a UK based service

Red, Yellow or Green


The fine particlate stickers come in the three colours, red, yellow and green, each conforming to a particular harmful substance group.

The green sticker (harmful emission group 4) covers motor vehicles with the lowest particulate and harmful emissions, such as, for example, motor vehicles equipped with the most modern diesel technology and virtually all petrol-engined motor vehicles fitted with a computer-controlled catalytic converter. The yellow (harmful emission group 3) and red stickers (harmful emission group 2) for diesel motor vehicles are assigned in further stages. Vehicles classified in harmful emission group 1 (diesel as per Euro 1 and older, petrol without computer-controlled catalytic converter) cannot be issued with a sticker.

The classification is initially made according to the emission classification numbers in the vehicle documents. In many cases, the retrofitting of filters to diesel-engined vehicles can lead to a better classification.

Share page